Giving a child up for adoption is a very difficult and brave thing for a birth mother to consider. It is a time of great uncertainty as you seek to do what is in the best interest of the child you are carrying as well as yourself. At ABC For Adoption, our mission is to support birth moms and adoptive families on a life journey that can be both overwhelming and extremely emotional, and oftentimes makes families feel very out of control. As a birth mom, here are some of the areas you control during the adoption process:
1. It is your choice – Determining if this is the right alternative for you and your child is your choice alone. Don’t let anyone pressure your decision. Take some time to carefully consider your options as well as those of your unborn child.
2. Cost – ABC works with biological parents to make pregnancy related issues manageable by providing assistance and guidance in many ways. We strive to make the adoption process as stress free as possible for the biological mother. We offer several avenues of support and help. We are flexible and work hard to make the adoption as comfortable as possible for all concerned.
3. Choosing the parents – The birth mother is in complete control of selecting the right family for her child. ABC For Adoption is here to assist birth moms in screening potential candidates based on the criteria that they designate.
4. Post-adoption communication – If you choose, you can determine what type of communication you will have with the adoptive family and the child after the adoption is completed. It can be an open or closed adoption with communication through email, letters, and in some cases supervised social interactions and phone calls with the child. All of this will be carefully planned and spelled out in the final adoption agreement.
5. The birth father – The level of current interaction with the birth father as well as the state in which you live will determine his rights and how it will impact the adoption. ABC For Adoption can help you understand the intricacies of this relationship.
6. The birth – The birth mom will determine all aspects of the delivery including in what hospital it will take place, who will be in the delivery room, and who will hold the baby first.
Creating an adoption plan can be an emotional task. At ABC For Adoption, we are here to support birth moms through every step of the process to ensure that they are lovingly cared for before, during, and after the birth.